About Marcus Hook

The Cornerstone of Pennsylvania

Welcome to Marcus Hook!  Our town is small, but our pride is large.

 

We sit in the southeastern corner of Pennsylvania and provide a nice place for our residents to live and families to raise their children.  There’s a lot to do here, from our business district at 10th and Market Street with a variety of shops and stores to choose from, to taking a drive down Market Street and passing by Mickey Vernon Park, our Veterans’ Memorials, to the Delaware River, which offers waterfront views within our Market Square Memorial Park, and finally our new Billy “White Shoes” Johnson Statue!

 

We hope to see you soon!

 

Expand each of the headings below to read more about the history of our beautiful borough!

Our Logo

On February 3, 1992, the Marcus Hook Borough Council approved the new logo for the Borough of Marcus Hook. The challenge was to develop a new logo which would represent the overall character, culture and history of the Borough of Marcus Hook. The diversity of the community, the location of the Borough on the Delaware River, historic resources, the recent economic and community development renaissance, and the Borough's motto "The Cornerstone of Pennsylvania," were all important elements to be graphically portrayed.

All elements of the new Logo represent a unique characteristic of the Borough of Marcus Hook. First, the overall diamond shape of the Logo was intentionally designed to represent the "quality" in the Borough.

The Municipal Building facade was chosen as a unique landmark of the Borough, representing strength, longevity, and stability. The people in front of the building represent the diverse community support and public/private partnerships which have contributed to the restored vitality of the community.

Rising from the top of the Municipal Building is a graphic sunburst shining over the entire Logo showing the bright and promising future ahead. Wrapping around the two sides of the building are two Sycamore trees. These trees are native to the Borough, and represent the new growth, park development, attention to environment, and concern for overall beautification of the community.

The stars and stripes below the Municipal Building reflect a patriotic dedication, and change from straight to "wavy" lines. The "waves" represent the historical fact that "Marcus Hook remained the term for the waterfront settlement while Chichester became the designation for the hinterland." The "waves" are also reminiscent of a flag - another patriotic reference. The five stars which appear in the one stripe again reflect the "5 star" quality of life, and also represent the five Borough Memorials: one situated in the center of Robert T. Haebel Plaza at 10th and Plaza Streets, dedicated for all residents of the 4th Ward who served in World War II and the Korean Conflict; the second located on the 8th and Market Street corner, a memorial erected by the citizens of Marcus Hook in honor of the brave heroes of World War 3; the third fronting on Market Street, next to the Recreation Hut, another World War II memorial in honor of the men and women of the Borough and their self sacrifice; the fourth at Market and 3rd Streets, on the grass plot, dedicated to those in the First Ward who served to preserve four essential human freedoms during World War II and the Korean Conflict; and the fifth memorial at the Borough's riverfront park, a first of its kind in Delaware County, this Vietnam War monument stands as a lasting tribute to residents of Marcus Hook Borough who served in that war.

The Borough of Marcus Hook has undergone tremendous growth and change over the past 100 years. The next 100 years will continue to challenge the Borough's people and government. Their commitment and dedication will lead them through the 1990's and into the 21st Century.

Borough History

The Marcus Hook area of the Delaware River waterfront has attracted settlement since the movement of the Lenni Lenape into this region. Reputedly, the town derives its name from an early Finnish settler who resided in a Swedish trading outpost and colonization site in the late 1630's or early 1640's.The word “Hook” meant a point of land and presumably referred to the natural harbor formed below Marcus Hook Creek.

The area from the west bank of Chester Creek to Marcus Hook Creek was originally a part of a large tract granted by Queen Christina of Sweden to Captain John Ammundsen Besk in 1653; the land west of the latter creek was given to a number of Swedish farmers in 1679. The Dutch called this area “Marrites Hoeck” after conquering the Delaware watershed in 1655 to 1664. After the fall of New Amsterdam, these settlements were under the English crown but attracted little interest until Charles II granted William Penn vast acreage for colonization. Some English settlers had migrated to Marcus Hook from Burlington and other West Jersey hamlets, but most arrived in 1682 and 1683. Within six years, the English predominated enough to have the area’s name changed to “Chichester” after the Sussex town from which the most influential citizens had emigrated. In common usage, however, Marcus Hook, remained the term for the waterfront settlement while “Chichester” became the designation for the hinterland.

The inhabitants petitioned William Penn for the establishment of a local market, to be held in the long open area still visible today in Lower Market (then Broad) Street. The charter for the market was granted in 1701, one of only three such privileges issued by the Proprietor. Prior to 1800, a two-story market house was erected. The second floor of the structure was demolished in 1869-1870 and the weekly trade in food, goods and livestock gradually died out.

During colonial times Marcus Hook served as the first port of call for Philadelphia and rivaled Chester in size. It briefly became a notorious haven for pirates in the early 18th century, the most famous cutthroat being Edward Teach, “Blackbeard.” The waterfront remained an infamous neighborhood as a result of the many taverns along Discord Lane (present Second Street). The ship-building industry was started before 1750, and was well known for coastal traders and herring sloops.

During the American Revolution, a chevaux-de-frise was sunk in the channel to prevent the passage of British warships and the town was bombarded several times. The Continental army camped in the Borough in August-September 1777 and there is some evidence that a training camp for the Pennsylvania militia was maintained 1776 to 1779 on the west bank of Marcus Hook Creek.

During the war of 1812, infantry troops were trained and quartered just north of the crossroads of Market Street and Post Road (U.S. 13) and continuing Northeast into Trainer. The encampment known as “Camp Gaines” and later “Fort Snyder,” had between 5,000 and 10,000 men stationed there from early September 1814 into early 1815. The troops were mainly Pennsylvania militia with some Delaware units and a sprinkling of U.S. regulars. Following the sack of Washington D.C. in August 1814, extensive earthworks were hastily constructed along the Marcus Hook waterfront and tidal creeks and cannon were mounted. These entrenchments and the camp were abandoned when winter lessened the likelihood of a British offensive.

Although the growth of Marcus Hook was gradual, it was stimulated by repeated improvement to the “Queen’s Highway” (Route 13 from Chester to Darby) and the “King’s Highway” (Route 13 from Chester to New Castle). The construction of the Philadelphia-Wilmington-Baltimore Railroad brought increased commercial and residential development in the later 19th century. Stage inns, waterfront taverns, depots and similar services augmented income from shipping and fisheries. The shad and herring industries were especially lucrative until the early 20th century.

As a settlement which spans over three hundred and fifty years of European settlement, Marcus Hook has welcomed many races and religions. The first church was established in the 17th century, St. Martin’s Episcopal Church. The Baptist congregation organized in 1789 and have had numerous locations, the latest being Mt. Olive Baptist Church (1916). The Mount Hebron African Methodist Church was organized in 1893 and eventually moved to Lower Chichester. The growth of the river industries in the early 20th century provided employment for a new wave of Catholic immigrants. Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Church began as a mission church for St. Anthony’s parish in Chester. In 1917, the congregation built the present stone church.

The first school in “Chichester” was organized in 1745 in the old frame church of St. Martin’s. It continued there until a brick schoolhouse was built which was demolished in 1860. The Marcus Hook Baptist Church was used by the School District from 1854-1890 (referred to as the Cedar Grove School). This was followed in 1895 by the 7th Street Grammar School at 7th and Green, which consisted of 6 rooms until World War II. The Central School which stood at 10th and Church Streets was razed in 1921.

Much of the economic development of Marcus Hook has been related to its location on the Delaware River. During the 18th and 19th century it was a center for small ship construction and for the fishing industry (particularly noted for shad). The U.S. Quarantine Station for the port of Philadelphia was based at Marcus Hook from 1887 to the late 1960's. The growth resulting from these activities warranted the incorporation of Marcus Hook as an independent Borough of 1.14 square miles in 1892. Marcus Hook was also noted as a resort and an amusement center prior to the turn of the century. A number of inns and elegant houses lined the waterfront and the area was noted for the quail hunting and fishing. The Lindenthorpe Park with “novelty attractions” such as county fairs and balloon races operated in Marcus Hook from 1897 to 1901. The Chester Traction Company operated a trolley to the park on week-ends.

The excellent rail, road, and deep water ship facilities in Marcus Hook attracted new industries dependent upon water for transport rather than for power. Oil refineries were built on the waterfront, starting with the Bear Creek Refining Company in 1892, giving the Borough its primary industry. A pipeline connected the plant to the oil producing regions in western Pennsylvania 300 miles away. In October 1901, eighty-two acres in Marcus Hook were bought by J.N. Pew for the Sunoco Refinery. The plant was in operation four months later and was immediately prosperous. The Hardwood Packaging Company was spun off in 1912 to produce wooden barrels for the shipping of oil. The Sunoco Marcus Hook refinery is now connected by pipeline to Sunoco Refineries in Philadelphia and New Jersey which when taken as a group is the second largest producer of gasoline in the country.

In 1910, the Union Petroleum Company, quickly to become a wholly owned subsidiary of the Sinclair Refining Company, leased 17 acres in Marcus Hook. It added 242 acres in Trainer in 1921, expanding from a 10,000 to a 160,000 barrel a day production capacity. The business has had several subsequent owners, the current being Conoco-Phillips. Marcus Hook’s deep water harbor allows inexpensive delivery of crude oil from West Africa, the North Sea, Texas, Venezuela, and other locations by tanker and efficient export to overseas markets. Pennsylvania and Reading railroad lines (now Conrail) provide access to continental markets.

Another significant industry was founded in Marcus Hook when Samuel Salvage first imported British technology to manufacture “artificial silk” in the United States. The American Viscose Company, initially a subsidiary of the English textile firm Samuel Courtauld and Company, built the largest synthetic fiber plant in the world here in 1910. Marcus Hook, therefore, is the American birthplace of rayon, the first mass-produced, man-made fiber in the country. In addition to the industrial complex, American Viscose also constructed an early planned community of employee housing in the popular Tudor Revival style that still goes by the name “Viscose Village.”

Marcus Hook’s population peaked in the 1920's at 5,324, when the first pressures for residential subdivision were generated by burgeoning industries. Subsequent growth of the refineries and related businesses reduced the residential core community to its present day population of about half that number.

Today, the Borough of Marcus Hook continues as a family oriented - pedestrian friendly community, where the main business district, public parks and buildings, schools, neighborhoods, and the riverfront are all within close proximity. The small town feel and more personalized sense of community prevails in Marcus Hook. Situated in the extreme southeastern corner of the state, Marcus Hook is proudly referred to as “The Cornerstone of Pennsylvania.”

Municipal Building

The Marcus Hook Municipal Building, located on the northwest corner of 10th Street and Green Street, was constructed in 1939.  The building was dedicated on September 16, 1939, and the first regularly scheduled Borough Council meeting was held in the new building on October 2, 1939.  The municipal building is a fine example of Beaux Arts architecture.  It is an imposing building built in a classical Egyptian-Greek Revival style set upon a high podium entered by symmetrical formal staircases.  The overall quality of design and construction and the fine sequence of interior spaces and finishes contribute to this architecturally unique building.  The facade of the building is of limestone. 

The municipal building was a Federal Works Agency, Public Works Administration project:  John M. Carmody - Federal Works Administrator, Franklin D. Roosevelt - President of the United States.  The Works Progress Administration Program was a component of the New Deal, Franklin D. Roosevelt's ambitious plan to create jobs and develop the country's infrastructure, while pulling it out of the Depression.  The final project cost inclusive of construction, engineering, legal, administration and furnishings was $97,334.  The federal government contributed $43,319 or 45% of the project cost.  George M. Ewing was the project architect.  George M. Ewing Company ceased its business operation in 1984 and Mr. Ewing passed away in 1985 at the age of 97.  Mr. Ewing's son, Alexander, became a principal partner in the architectural firm of Ewing, Cole, Cherry and Parsky, Philadelphia, PA. The firm of Ewing Cole remains in operation with offices in Philadelphia and other cities in the United States.  There are no longer any Ewing family members associated with the firm. 

The entire first floor of the building houses the Marcus Hook Police Department.    The Mary M. Campbell Marcus Hook Public Library  occupies the second floor.

The municipal building has undergone substantial improvements in recent years.  These have included re-pointing of exterior walls in 1983, replacement windows, new heating and central air conditioning system, exit signs and emergency lighting, stairway lift (providing handicapped access to the second floor) and cosmetic improvements to the Council meeting room in 1985, and in 1986, replacement of front doors and Green Street side door. 

In August 1992, a Municipal Building Facility Study was completed by Pennoni Associates, a consulting engineering firm.  A two-phased improvement project was recommended.  Phase 1 improvements were completed in 1994.  The first floor garage was closed in to create two new offices and a second floor added for an expansion of the Mary M. Campbell Library.   A new building entrance was created from Green Street where the garage driveway approach was previously located.  A concrete ramp provides access to the building for the handicapped.  The existing women's cell, which was in conflict with the adjoining administrative offices, was converted to an office and an existing cell in the police lock-up area was modified to accommodate female prisoners.  Additionally, the police department wing on the first floor of the building and the first floor conference room were refurbished.  

The second phase of improvements, completed in July 1995, consisted of refurbishing the administrative offices on the first floor.  New customer service windows were installed in the public entry area at the first floor Green Street entrance.  Improvements included new tile floors in the common areas, drywall, drop ceilings and lighting, and office carpeting.  The Borough Manager's office was made larger by removing the dividing wall between the manager's office and the former code enforcement office. 

The new library work/storage room was outfitted with a high density mobile storage system designed to maximize space.  The shelf units, manufactured by Spacesaver, Inc., move on guide rails which are flush with the finished floor.  Installation occurred in July 1995. 

In 1998, the Municipal Building roof was replaced along with the library’s interior ceiling.  Two ceiling fans were installed in the library.  This project, costing $25,180, was partially funded with a $9,128 Pennsylvania Keystone Library grant. 

In 2002, the Municipal Building underwent an exterior facelift.  The entire limestone surface of the building was cleaned top to bottom.  Accumulated surface contaminants, mineral deposits and atmospheric stains were removed using special limestone cleaners and restoration products.  The coping stone joints at the top of the building were raked out and caulked to correct water infiltration problems.  The granite front step joints and landing joints were also raked out and caulked, and staircase wall cracks repaired.  The yellow brick in the rear of the building and behind the front roof parapet wall was re-pointed.  All windows were resealed.  This work was completed at a cost of $28,630.  

In 2005, the entire ground floor of the Municipal Building was renovated.  Two jail cells were removed providing space for a processing room and victim/witness interview room.  The police work room was made larger by narrowing the hallway corridor. Specially constructed build-to-suit desks and file cabinets were installed in the new and expanded rooms and also in the office of the Police Clerk and Municipal Clerk.  New replacement floor tiles were installed throughout the ground floor, hallways and offices painted, and the offices re-carpeted.  Borough staff directed and supervised the project and furnished most of the labor.  

The building underwent extensive improvements in 2023.  Renovations were completed in December 2023 at a cost of $1.8 million.  The Marcus Hook Police Department, which previously shared the first floor with the Borough's administrative offices, expanded and now occupies the entire first floor of the building.  The much needed project provided the police department with a new modern station  with new HVAC, electric, and security systems.  On the second floor the former Council meeting room was converted into a children's library area. 

The Borough of Marcus Hook has retained in its archives the original municipal building blueprints.  Two original renderings of the building, one a front elevation view and the other an isometric drawing, hang in the building.

“The Cornerstone of Pennsylvania”

The Borough of Marcus Hook is a family oriented community of 2,500 residents, located on the Delaware River, just 20 minutes from downtown Philadelphia. Situated in the extreme southeastern corner of the state, Marcus Hook is proudly referred to as “The Cornerstone of Pennsylvania”.

Marcus Hook was first settled by the Swedes in the 1640's, then the Dutch, and later the English in the 1680’s. William Penn granted a local market charter in 1701 for the long open area of lower Market Street still visible today, one of only three such privileges issued by Penn. Much of the economic development of Marcus Hook has been related to its location on the Delaware River. First as a center for small ship construction and for the fishing industry, and later as a resort and amusement center. The growth resulting from these activities warranted the incorporation of Marcus Hook as an independent Borough of 1.14 square miles in 1892. The excellent rail, road and deep water ship facilities in Marcus Hook attracted new industries at the turn of the 20th Century.

Petroleum refineries were constructed on the waterfront giving the community its primary industry. Today, Marcus Hook continues to retain its warm, friendly nature and boasts over one hundred businesses. Marcus Hook is a pedestrian friendly community, where the main business district, public parks and buildings, schools, neighborhoods, and the riverfront are all within close proximity.

The beautiful Market Square Memorial Park on the banks of the Delaware River offers sensational views of the river, port activities and the passing ships. This riverfront park is the venue for many special events. It should come as no surprise that Marcus Hook hosts one of the area’s busiest event calendars. The Borough has been hosting special events at Market Square Memorial Park since the establishment of the park in 1986. The Borough regularly welcomes the restored coastal schooner, Pioneer, to the port of Marcus Hook. Crowned the official flagship of the Borough of Marcus Hook, this vessel, built in Marcus Hook in 1885, offers dockside tours and public sails during its return to its maiden port.

The Borough’s Memorial Day Parade is the largest in Delaware County. On parade day Marcus Hook’s main streets are alive and bustling with a variety of marching bands, military units, antique cars, drill teams, all gathering to demonstrate affection for our nation, fellow citizens and the proud inheritance we share. The summer event slate is highlighted by the Marcus Hook Summer Music Festival. Top-notch musical entertainment originates from the Market Square Memorial Park stage on the banks of the Delaware River. Concerts are scheduled on consecutive Tuesday evenings in July and August. Through the generous sponsorship of local business and industry, concerts have been offered free to the public since the program began in 1987. September brings Delaware County’s Riverfront Ramble (first celebrated in 2004) celebrating the revitalization of the county’s riverfront communities. A restaurant festival, musical entertainment, fireworks, tethered balloon rides, fire truck rides, are just a few of the program offerings. October concludes with “The Legend of Blackbeard’s Ghost”, an original Halloween program based on early 18th century folklore when Marcus Hook was reputed to be a notorious haven for pirates.

To usher in the Holidays, the Marcus Hook Holiday Parade and Festival of Lights is a must see. On the Saturday following Thanksgiving the Holiday Parade welcomes the spirit of the season and concludes with the opening of the light display at Market Square Memorial Park.

There are many other special events that occur annually such as the Children’s Holiday Party, Fishing Tournament, and Daily Times Champs n’ Charity Softball Classic. The Borough has hosted circuses, the USA Women's Olympic Softball Team, the traveling Vietnam Veterans Memorial, the Pennsylvania State Firemen’s Convention, and specials tours and events at local industrial manufacturing facilities. The Borough’s events and festivals provide an opportunity to get together with friends and neighbors, and share Marcus Hook’s small town ambience with guests and visitors.

Marcus Hook has long been recognized as a sports town spawning such notable athletes as two time American League batting champion Mickey Vernon and football great Billy “White Shoes” Johnson. The tradition continues as recreation enthusiasts of all ages compete in local athletic programs. What’s more, the Borough of Marcus Hook boasts many fine recreation and park facilities.

Over eighty businesses call Marcus Hook home. Many others in the area use the Marcus Hook postal address because “Marcus Hook Means Business”. Reasonably priced commercial and industrial real estate, excellent access to suppliers of services and raw materials, large skilled and semi-skilled labor force, multi-modal transportation systems, and no local business taxes are just a few reasons why businesses choose Marcus Hook.

Marcus Hook is a full service community with a superb Police Department and volunteer Fire Department. The Mary M. Campbell Marcus Hook Public Library is a Borough institution dating back to its founding in 1923. Other departmental operations cover building regulations and zoning, health, public property and recreation. Services are provided in a spirit of positive customer service.

Marcus Hook is a community where all phases of life - living, working, playing - coexist in an efficient and harmonious manner. It is a community with a restored vitality and a renewed sense of community pride. There is leadership, partnership and community involvement. The small town feel and more personalized sense of community prevails in Marcus Hook. Marcus Hook is looking ahead to a bright tomorrow, having proved that a community can indeed shape its future.

Viscose Village

A brief history of Viscose Village - A Planned Industrial Community

Viscose Village is a rare example of the planned industrial community, particularly because of its creative layout and housing design. Approximately 20 acres, the original community remains intact in the area of Marcus Hook Borough from 10th Street to Chestnut Street and from Walnut Street to Yates Avenue.

The Village was built by the American Viscose Company (AVC), a textile firm which began in 1908 as a subsidiary of the British textile company Samuel Courtland, Ltd., one of several European firms interested in developing manmade fibers. AVC developed and patented a fiber made from cellulose acetate which they called “artificial silk.” (In 1924 it was renamed “rayon.”) The American Viscose Company built a plant in Marcus Hook, starting operation seven days before Christmas 1910. This was the first manmade fiber produced in America.

The immediate success of this product led to a rapid expansion of the plant. The need to hire skilled long-term workers put AVC in competition with other regional industries and led to the Company’s decision to build a highly attractive model town where its employees could live at subsidized rents.

Viscose Village consists of 261 residences, 2 boarding houses, and a general store. In addition, the Company commissioned amenities such as paved streets, sewers, sidewalks, fences, and landscaping long before such items were considered standard for communities. The architectural firm of Ballinger and Perrot, which is still flourishing in Philadelphia, was commissioned to design Viscose Village. Firm members traveled for almost a year throughout America and Europe to study successful industrial towns and identify the elements which would most attract workers to AVC’s planned industrial village.

The Ballinger and Perrot research resulted in a community which, unlike the modern suburb, was planned to be located directly next to the plant, but with green open spaces, broad yards, and a variety of attractive housing types. In order to draw families, the architects designed residential units with larger rooms, including at least three bedrooms so that there could be separate sleeping quarters. These pleasant, attractive, and affordable dwellings also had living rooms, sometimes with fireplaces, stair halls, dining rooms, full basements, “modern” bathrooms and kitchens, and covered front porches. The very best construction materials were used; brick for walls, slate for fireproof roofs, cement for porch floors and cellars. The architects took fashionable designs from Europe and incorporated them into the Village structures. Thus, there are Flemish gables, Tudor English half-timber walls, and Craftsman ( a revival of medieval carpentry) windows and roofs.

Two forms of family residences were designed: six-room and eight-room houses. The rents were fixed to “accommodate varying wage scales,” and the upkeep on the buildings was done by AVC. The architects followed the Company’s directions that the Village be designed “...not from a commercial standpoint, but [considering] what best suits the character of the people employed by this company.” The largest houses with the most detailing were built facing the Plaza. The two boarding houses, one for single men and one for single women, housed 16 people each and had an average weekly charge for room and board of $3.50.

The visual appeal of the community was considered a major design element. Thus, instead of monotonous row housing on straight streets, the Village has the curving panorama of the Plaza, with angled streets off of it, providing attractive views of the neighborhood. As the descriptive booklet on the Village puts it, “instead of having a village with rectangular plots and rows of houses, streets [diverge] from a central plaza with beautiful vistas.” Front yards were divided by low hedges rather than fences, so the area would not be divided into postage stamp type components. Cement sidewalks promoted walking, and trees and shrubs were planted throughout the Village. The streets were paved (ten years before even main roads were regularly macadamized), and cement curbs and gutters were added. Functional rear alleys took care of deliveries and secondary access needs.

The construction of Viscose Village continued throughout 1912 and 1913. It was considered to be such a model community that the Company produced a booklet about the Village and its reasons behind the design. Ballinger and Perrot continued to build plants and worker housing for American Viscose until 1923, constructing AVC’s six other plants in Virginia, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania.

One of the elements they considered particularly important was the need for healthy recreation. The Plaza was planned as a public park, and, immediately following the erection of the Village, a dining/recreation hall was designed. At a 1913 cost of $60,000, this structure was built of fireproof materials with terra cotta and wrought iron details and ornamentation. Not only a clean and healthy cafeteria for Viscose employees, it was also used for public functions, visiting entertainment, and regular dances. A roof garden with corner pavilions and promenades was built on the top of the 2-storey dining hall. A small dispensary was also built nearby, to care for the needs of employees and their families.

The dependence on rayon for industrial and military purposes during World War I led to another rapid expansion of the plant, with the result that the dining hall was enlarged and converted into production space and offices. In 1920, the Viscose Fire Company was chartered and a firehouse erected which remains in use today. By mid-century, the use of rayon expanded to everything from parachutes to rugs, from mens’ summer suits to children’s rompers. Although the Borough’s Viscose complex was still the leading American producer of rayon, these new applications required different machinery to spin finer yarn than that located at the Marcus Hook plant. This led AVC to convert to manufacturing cellophane in 1954-58. In 1963, AVC was purchased by FMC Corporation.

Part of the change after World War II included the recognition that workers now preferred to own housing rather than to rent. Therefore, AVC divested itself of the Village by giving the Plaza to the Borough and selling the housing at below market prices to Company employees. This transferral of property was completed in 1950, and many of the original buyers and/or family members are still living in these unique homes.

Viscose Village was, and is a unique historical complex of lasting appeal. Its pioneer community designs are being rediscovered by modern site developers. Its attractive variety of housing with European elements makes the Village a visually attractive place in an ever-growing sea of uncreative urban sprawl.

The Viscose Village Historic Resource Assessment and Preservation Plan was completed in 1992. It was prepared for Marcus Hook Borough by the Delaware County Planning Department. The joint Marcus Hook Borough - Delaware County Planning Department project addressed in depth the historical roots, development, and ongoing concerns of the community and the best methods of physically preserving this nationally-important neighborhood.

Maintaining Your Historic Home: A Practical Guide for Homeowners in Viscose Village, Marcus Hook, Pennsylvania

War Memorials

In front of the Marcus Hook Elementary School are two memorials. Located on the 8th Street and Market Street corner is a memorial erected by the citizens of Marcus Hook in honor of the brave heroes who answered their country's call in World War I, 1917-1918. Fronting on Market Street next to the Recreation Hut, is a World War II memorial in memory and in honor of the men and women of the Borough as a tribute to the self-sacrifice they displayed in our country's service, 1941-1945.

Situated in the center of Robert F. Haebel Plaza at 10th Street and Plaza Street is a memorial dedicated to all residents of the 4th Ward who served their country in World War II and the Korean Conflict. Across the street within the bus shelter was located a World War II plaque dedicated to the employees of the American Viscose Company who served in the armed forces or at home (this plaque is in the Borough's possession).

At Market Street and 3rd Street, located on the grass plot (Market Green), is a memorial dedicated to those in the First Ward who served their country to preserve the four essentials of human freedoms....World War II, 1941-1945, and Korean Conflict, 1950-1953.

On May 30, 1983, the Vietnam War monument was dedicated at the Borough's riverfront park (then called McClure Park). This monument, the first of its kind in Delaware County, stands as a lasting tribute to residents of Marcus Hook Borough and the country who served in the Vietnam War.

The simple but elegant polished granite memorial at Market Square Memorial Park was dedicated on October 10, 1992 to the Delaware Countians Killed In Service or Missing In Action in the Vietnam Theater of Operations. Individual names are listed on the memorial. The memorial is situated on the west side of the north-south park walkway to the river.

Dedicated on October 1949, the Sun Seamen's Memorial faces the Delaware River at Delaware Avenue and Green Street. This memorial commemorates one hundred forty-one brave officers and seamen who lost their lives in World War II while serving aboard Sun Oil Company tankers.

The Marcus Hook Korean War Memorial was dedicated at Market Square Memorial Park on May 26, 2001. This beautiful memorial pays tribute to Marcus Hook residents who served during the Korean War. Their names are inscribed on the memorial.

Lastly, the significance of the cemetery adjacent to historic St. Martin's Church is noted. Tombstones within the graveyard are marked (many now illegible) with the names of men who fought in the Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Mexican War, Civil War, Spanish American War, World War I and II, and the Korean War. On May 24, 2003 The Soldier and Sailor Walk Memorial was dedicated. Located behind historic old St. Martin's Church this memorial incorporates 73 replacement grave markers of veterans buried in the cemetery who served in the Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Mexican War, Civil War, and Spanish-American War.